Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Smallmouth Bass on Rice Paper Print

ARTWORK & PHOTOGRAPHS COPYRIGHT Charles Weiss 2012






This my new project "Fish Print". The Japanese call this Gyo taku.
I used a smallmouth bass of about 11 inches in length. Caught on a fly ifrom the Maitland River
near Goderich Ontario.
First the fish was washed with a solution of vinegar and  soapy water and dried off.
Second I posed the fish on some newspaper with styrofoan underneath. Then I pinned the fins in position.
Third I painted  the fish with a large brush a variety of acrylic paint colour.
Fourth, I placed apiece of rice paper on top of the fish and gently rubbed the paper, I used a spoon on the fins .
Fifth, I gently puled off the paper.
I let all the prints dry.
Sixth, I touched up with pencil crayon and acrylic paint the best looking print. The final design has the crisp outlines of the scales and fin rays.

No comments:

Post a Comment